Legend has it that it was invented by Sultan Saladin himself. Hummus, or chickpeas in Arabic, is a traditional Middle Eastern and North African dish. They are prepared by, among others inhabitants of Egypt, Israel and the entire Levant. Today, each hostess and chef have their own recipe and ways to make homemade hummus. No wonder, since in modern times you can prepare a Sultan’s dish very easily and quickly with a blender. How to make hummus?
How to prepare a classic hummus
- 1 can of approx. 400 g chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 5 tablespoons tahini sesame paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (cumin)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Place the drained chickpeas in a shredder or blender container. Add a few tablespoons of pickle or chickpea water and mix.
- In the meantime, add the rest in the ingredients: lemon juice, garlic, tahini paste, about 2 pinches of salt, a pinch of pepper, sesame oil or olive oil and cumin (Roman cumin).
- While mixing, gradually add more pickle to get the right paste consistency.
Hummus with roasted green peppers
- 240 g cooked chickpeas,
- 2 green peppers (mine weighed 310 g together),
- a handful of green parsley (20 g for me),
- a few spoons of tahini or sesame paste or a few spoons of sesame (from poverty gomasio can also do it though then “hummus” will be less sesame and gomasio I would give max 2 tablespoons),
- 40 g of oil,
- 40 g water,
- 1 clove of garlic,
- half lemon juice,
- optional: maple or date syrup.
Roast the pepper at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cool. Blend all ingredients. If you use sesame instead of tahini, grind it with a paste, e.g. with oil. Proportions to be adjusted individually – at the discretion. If we want to reduce the amount of fat in our diet, it is worth using less oil and more water.
Tahini – how to make it
- Prepare 200 g of sesame and, if necessary, 1 tablespoon of oil
- Sprinkle sesame on a hot dry frying pan. Roast it on high heat. If you prefer. Sesame must become shiny, slightly golden, but not brown, because it will become bitter. Transfer the beans to a plate and let them cool down.
- Pour the beans into a blender or a bowl and take a hand blender. Mix the paste by pulsation. When it starts to flow and the fat is thinned, the grains can be mixed in a draft. If at the beginning it goes harder you can add a tablespoon of oil.
- Put the paste in a jar, spin it and keep it in the fridge.
How to make hummus without tahini
- Rinse chickpeas, pour cold water and leave for 8 hours.
- Cook the chickpeas on low heat and under cover to make them soft (this will take about 45 minutes).
- Put the soft beans into the bowl. Add finely chopped garlic, olive oil, fresh lemon juice and cold water. Blend everything into a smooth paste. If the hummus is too hard, pour more water.
- Spice paste with salt, pepper, coriander, cumin and ground paprika. Mix everything and set aside in the fridge for an hour.
- Serve the hummus with olive oil and vegetables.